International Seminar on Greenways, Mobility, Leisure and Tourism & Study Visit
Date: Thursday 30 September, 2021 – Friday 1st October
Venue: PALAU DE LES ARTS REINA SOFIA, Valencia (Spain)
Live streaming broadcast >> click here
The international conference and the ulterior visit on 1st October are organized on the occasion of the 10th European Greenways Award 2021 ceremony, that will be held on Thursday 30th September 2021 in Valencia.
The conference is organised by the Spanish Railways Foundation (FFE) in collaboration with the European Greenways Association (EGWA) , with the support of the Generalitat Valenciana (Valencia Region), through the Regional Ministry of Territorial Policy, Public Works, and Mobility, Turisme Comunitat Valenciana, and the Chair Transport and Society
Preliminary Program (Esp>>)
Thursday, 30 September 2021
11:45 – Registration of participants
12:15 – Opening and welcome
- Giulio Senes and Mercedes Muñoz, President and Director of the European Greenway Association
- José Carlos Domínguez, Managing Director of the Spanish Railway Foundation (Fundación de los Ferrocarriles Españoles)
- Francesc Colomer, Regional Secretary for Tourism. Comunitat Valenciana
- Arcadi España, Regional Minister of Territorial Policy, Public Works and Mobility. Generalitat Valenciana
13.00 – Non-motorised infrastructures and Greenways for mobility (I)
- RAVeL, a greenways network for mobility in Wallonie (Belgium). Isabelle Dullaert, Policy Officer. Service public of Wallonia – Mobility & Infrastructures and Gilbert Perrin, International advisor. Chemins du Rail.
- XINM, Non-Motorised Itinerary Network of the Valencian region (Spain). Roser Obrer, Director General of Public Works, Transport and Sustainable Mobility. Generalitat Valenciana.
- Radrevier Ruhr, a large network of cycle routes to favour the transition to active daily mobility (Germany). Pascal Toennissen, Digital long-distance cycle route. Ruhr Tourismus GMbh, and Grischa Schilgen-Begaß, Radrevier.ruhr.
- Nature Trails Programme (Spain). Cristina Clemente, Deputy Director-General of Irrigation, Nature Trails and Rural Infrastructure. Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries, and Food.
14.00 – Non-motorised infrastructures and Greenways for mobility (II)
- Scottish Greenways Programme (UK). Kristen Layne, Greenways Programme Coordinator. Sustrans Scotland.
- The National Ecopistas plan (Portugal) Paulo Rodrigues – Gestor do Plano Nacional de Ecopistas. IP Património.
- First grants under the State Cycling Strategy for the improvement of mobility (Spain). Antonio Pérez Peña. Head of the State Cycling Strategy. Ministry of Transport, Mobility and Urban Agenda.
- RFI-4-Greenways (Italy). Disused railways to improve the realisation of greenways. Ilaria Maggiorotti, Responsable, Asset Management. Rete Ferroviaria Italiana R.F.I. S.p.A.
15.05 – Debate
15.15 – Snack break
15.45 – Greenways for the development and boosting of tourism in the territory
- EU Funding for tourism on greenways (Europe) Mercedes Muñoz, Director. European Greenways Association.
- Tourism in Europe: recovery and the way forward. (Europe). Iulia Niculica, Funding, Procurement & Development Manager. European Travel Commission.
- Tourism Sector Promotion and Recovery Plan: Opportunities for Cycle Tourism. Ana Muñoz Llabrés. Deputy Director General for Tourism Development and Sustainability. Secretary of State for Tourism. Ministry of Industry, Trade and Tourism.
- Strategy for Cycle Tourism and Greenways in Valencia Region (Spain). Herick Campos, Director General de Turisme. Comunitat Valenciana.
- Institutional collaboration on greenways in the Basque Country and Navarre. (Spain). Gregorio José Zurro, Director General of Tourism and Hospitality Industry. Basque Government and Maitena Ezkutari, Director General of Tourism, Trade and Consumer Affairs. Government of Navarre Presentation video
16:50 – Successful initiatives and best practices in European Greenways
- Greenway Visitor Experience & Development Toolkit and Greenway Industry Supports. (Ireland). Michael Fitzsimons, Manager Product Development – Activities. Fáilte Ireland / Waterford Greenway. Richie Walsh, Head of Waterford Local Enterprise Office Waterford City & County council.
- Girona Greenways, a success story for the promotion of the territory (Spain). Angel Planas, Manager of the Consorci Vies Verdes de Girona.
- The transformation of a former train station as a tourist centre (Belgium). Jo Uytterhoeven, manager of Station Racour.
- Innovative actions in the Vía Verde del Ferrocarril Vasco Navarro (Spain). Elena Gómez-Chico, Head of the Environmental Sustainability Service. Provincial Council of Alava. Presentation video
17:50 – Debate
18.00 – Closing ceremony
- Roser Obrer, Director General of Public Works, Transport and Sustainable Mobility. Generalitat Valenciana.
Friday, 1 October 2021
8.15h – 17.00h. Study visit by electric bike to the Ojos Negros (Black Eyes) greenway (Castellón – Valencia) (walking option) and later visit the Greenway Interpretation Centre (Sagunto). Currently FULL. In case of inscription, you will be placed on the reserve list.
=> See program in spanish HERE
=> Limited places due sanitary restrictions. Online option.
=> English / Spanish (with simultaneous translation)
=> Participation is free of charge but prior registration and confirmation by the organisers is required. (Closed regis
=> Registration OPEN NOW HERE >> Registration for in-person participation are closed
=> Registrations will be confirmed from 23/08/2021
Please stay tuned for updates!
Internacional Conference and Awards Gala -from 8:53:18 / ENGLISH
Promotional video of the International Conference on Greenways, Mobility, Leisure and Tourism, the 10th European Greenways Award held on 30 September 2021 and the Visit by bike to the Ojos Negros Greenway on 1 October 2021.