Creation and transnational promotion of outdoor tourism product linked to European Greenways
Greenways great Outdoors without borders and barriers
Greenways Outdoor: Vías Verdes sin fronteras ni barreras.
Workshop Thursday 21/January/ 2015
Venue: Madrid, Spain (at FITUR International tourism fair; room A 9.13)
Time: 10:30 – 14:30
- To present the project Greenways Outdoors
- To present key elements to generate successful tourism product around greenways: continuity of the greenways beyond administrative boundaries and accessibility.
- To present main requirements and constraints to generate tourism product, with concrete examples of initiatives coming from public and SME.
- To encourage greenways network to generate tourism product and to promote them at European level.
Addressed to: Tourism promotion and greenway management authorities; Local service and equipment providers (SMEs) around greenways; Tour operators and active and nature tourism agencies; Public authorities and private organisations that want to promote greenways for tourism in its territories; Potential tourists / end users.
10:00 – Registration
10:30 – 11:00 – Open act
- Representatives from: European Commission; Turespaña; EGWA and Spanish Railways Foundation (FFE).
European Commission: “EU policy on sustainable tourism; EU funds opportunities for tourism and greenways” (tbc)
11:00 – 11:45 – Greenways Outdoor: the project
Project General Overview. Methodology for the development of tourism product: European catalogue of greenway tourism products and professional greenway-related services. Participation at the European Catalogue.
- Mercedes Muñoz, European Greenways Association (EGWA) Director, Greenways Outdoor Coordinator. (European Scope)
- Carmen Aycart, Greenways Program Manager and Arantxa Hernandez, Head of studies and communication of Greenways Program. Fundación de los Ferrocarriles Españoles. (Spain)
- Jesús Blázquez; Manager; Rutas Pangea (Spain)
11: 45 – 12:15 – Break
12:15 – 13:15 – Greenways – No borders no barriers
Keys to offer an attractive tourism product: continuity of greenways beyond administrative boundaries (country, region, province, or municipality), integration in long distances itineraries and accessibility.
- Vennbahn greenway. Christoph Hendrich; product developer. Tourismusagentur ostbelgien. (Belgium).
- Eurovelo Network. Jesus Freire. European Cyclist Federation (ECF), (Belgium).
- Representative from Plazaola Greenway (Spain).
- Murcia region greenways. (Spain).Juan Soria Martínez. Gerente del Consorcio de las Vías Verdes de la Región de Murcia.
13:15 -14:15 – Generating greenways product. Round table:
Examples of greenways in different stages of development presented by Greenways Outdoor projects partners. How are they working to generate tourism product? Assets and obstacles. What are the results?
- Vidzeme región. Raities Sijas. Vidzemes Turisma Asociacija (Latvia).
- Vía verde de la Sierra. María Jiménez, Gerente Fundación Vía verde de la Sierra. (Andalucia, Spain).
- Ecopista do Dao, José Carlos Almeida; CIM-Viseu Dao Lafoes (Portugal).
- Delta Po. Representative from Local Action Group (GAL) Delta Po (Italy).
- Around Subbetica greenway. Antonio Camacho; Subbetica Bikes Friends, (Spain).
- Greenways Marathon’s. Representative from Diversport (Spain).
14:15 – 14:30 – Closing words.
English / Spanish – with translation